Saturday 9 November 2013

Re-determining Media Effectiveness


I came up with a way to improve my rough method for determining media effectiveness. I no longer think the options of “High,” “Medium,” and “Low” appropriately cover the spectrum of qualities of impact. What my original model lacked is a way of distinguishing between positive and negative impacts, a pretty massive oversight. In answering my three questions regarding quality of impact, we don’t just want to find out whether media projects are very good, moderately good, or a little good. We also want to find out if their consequences are largely negative.

I think it makes more sense to answer these three questions with reference to a 7-point scale: -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3.

-3 = Very bad
-2 = Moderately bad
-1 = A little bad
0 = Neutral
1 = A little good
2 = Moderately good
3 = Very good

The 3-point scale still works for answering the questions regarding strength of impact because it is impossible for those values to be negative.

I’ve edited my original post to account for this change. I’ll likely continue to update this method as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment